We’re specialists at installing audio in things that move. While we are known for car audio installation, we also have extensive experience in marine audio installations. Leveraging our system design approach and in consideration of the environment where boats play, we know how to make your boat’s sound system loud and clear on the lake without compromising the battery life or other electronics on the boat. Our philosophy with marine audio is that it should be easy to use and elevate the experience of using the boat. At Progressive Audio, we accomplish this by thoughtful system design and time-tested installation choices.
Boats are different
From a sound system perspective, cars and boats are different in so many ways. Cars have an enclosed cabin where boats are wide open to the outside. This creates different requirements with how to project and convey the sound, even if all the listeners are on the boat. When a skier or swimmer leaves the boat and get in the water, the challenges to project great sound only compound. The choices and locations for speakers, as well as the electrical considerations to provide sustained amplification for the speakers are all differences between boats and cars that our system design process takes into account. The last thing you want is to be the boat on the lake that can’t keep up.
Marine Audio considerations
These are just some of the installation considerations we use in our system design and marine installation process to ensure longevity, reliability and high performance for your boat’s audio system.
- Water resistant sources and controllers – many of our solutions do not look like a traditional car radio; rather they are marine-grade source units and controllers with water intrusion resistance (using the IPX standards) and often provide multiple access points so you can control the sound from wherever you are.
- Amplifier efficiency and calibration – we choose high efficiency amplifiers to minimize electrical current consumption. In addition we calibrate the amplifiers using our test and measurement tools to ensure maximum (undistorted) output to the speakers.
- Speaker placement and distribution – by placing speakers in ideal locations and distributing them in multiple places around the boat, we achieve excellent coverage that delivers great sound no matter where you listen.
- Waterproof Mounting Hardware – we use all waterproof mounting hardware to ensure no rust or corrosion on any of the hardware. This is important for service down the road should a part need to be removed and either diagnosed, repaired or replaced for any reason.
- Secondary battery or cut-off switch – to add reliability for the boat’s electrical system and no-hassle starting, regardless of audio system use, we often add one or more additional marine-grade batteries or low voltage cut-off switches that ensure the safety of passengers. Since boats can’t be push started, it’s critical to maintain the safety of starting at all times.
- Marine-grade upholstery – we use UV and salt air treated marine-grade upholstery materials whenever one of our installations requires integrating with existing upholstery, creating new upholstered surfaces or reupholstering some existing panels. This ensures longevity of materials and comfort for all boat passengers.
Visit us and see
We encourage you to visit us at Progressive Audio and experience for yourself just how deep our marine audio system design knowledge really is. We have done hundreds of installations for happy customers and we’re excited to design a marine audio system just for you.
Please stop in, call, or Contact Us today for more information.